Licorice root, also known as Gan Cao or sweet root, is used mostly as a sweetener food and drink. People have also used licorice root for centuries for its medicinal benefits. Gan Cao works best in tea.
Liquorice is used in food and drink for its distinctive taste. But Liquorice Root, known as Gan Cao, has very different strength. It is found growing in Europe, the Mediterranean and Asia, and it's been used for thousands of years and dozens of purposes.
It has been used by the Chinese as a 'guide drug'. It has been used with other herbs to enhance their effects and essentially guide the other herbs to how they should be the most beneficial. This concept highlights why liquorice root is one of the most popular herbs in Chinese medicine..
- May help soothe your stomach and cleanse the respiratory system
- Can assist with heartburn and acid reflux
- May act as an anti-inflammatory and soothing herb
- Can help regulate the stress hormone
- May help treat sexually transmitted diseases
- Can assist in expelling mucus and bring relief for sore throats
- May assist and reduce the duration of hot flushes during menopause
- Can help have a positive effect on cramps, both abdominally and in the muscles
- May help relieve eczema discomfort and joint pain
When considering the benefits of liquorice, it is no wonder that it remains so popular. It can help treat a number of conditions that are terribly prominent in our society.